There are about 4 months to go until 2016 ends. This year has got to be the most eventful year of my life. So many life changing events. New people I’ve met, people I lost, new experiences, places to explore, and everything that makes a roller coaster of a life. Here are a few things I learned along the way.
- Let go. Let go of the things that are not meant for you. Let go of the people who hurt you and don’t want to stay. Let go. Breathe in and let go. It’s okay to be sad about it, just as long as you let go.
- Shake it off. There are people and situations that will test your patience. Before you get pissed off take a break and think about it. If there’s nothing you can do about it, if its out of your control, if it’s a stupid insignificant thing that you won’t even remember after a year, just shake it off.
- Be careful who you trust. I’ve always been such an easy person to please and fool. I act like I’m all tough and wouldn’t care and all guarded but I’m hella soft. If you crack me, and that’s not hard to do, I’ll open my soul to you. And that makes me so vulnerable. I keep giving people the power to hurt me and trusting them not to. And I always get my heart broken.
- Travel more. There is nothing that cleanses my soul more than travelling. Money is tight with all the bills and the financial restrictions of adulthood but I need to travel at least once every two months.
- Make time for friends. At the end of the day, they’ll be the one to keep you sane. Ask them about their life lately, about their day. Get to know them a little more and listen to their stories.
- Take care of yourself. Don’t let life beat you up, and if it does treat yourself well. If you’re in a place or situation you’re not happy in, leave. If life is complete shit to you, treat yourself to good food or a movie or a new book. Take care of yourself because you are the only person that can make yourself happy.
- Be like Kanye. Be the queen/king of your life. Be the reason you smile everyday.
- It’s okay to try again. There is not limit to fresh starts. If you have to start over, do it. Don’t look at your resume or your relationship track record. It’s okay to constantly search for what makes you happy and what/who you’re meant to be happy with.
- Love with all your heart. I always love too much, that’s the problem. I either get too clingy or attached or put that person first or won’t stop loving a person even after they leave. I used to think that it was a curse–a flaw. But I don’t think so anymore. I think it’s my most powerful trait. And it is a beautiful thing. (Just be careful of who it’s going to be next time.)
- Trust your gut. It has never failed me yet. Even if it is a faint whisper, listen to it. If it takes you somewhere you’re afraid or unsure of, trust it. Trust yourself.
There are still a lot more for me to learn and I’m ready to take on the twists and turns of life to learn them all.